Everyone has a role to play in ensuring all of our nation’s young people have equal access to opportunity. In order to develop holistic support systems and improve life outcomes for boys and young men of color, we unite business, philanthropy, nonprofit, government, community, youth, and other influencers in support of tomorrow’s leaders.
Our collaborative, cross-sectoral approach, which is both national and local in scope, is guided by the belief that there are six milestones along the life path that serve as key indicators of future success. Interventions at the following critical points are vital to fostering inter-generational improvements and creating lasting change:
- Entering School Ready to Learn: All school-aged children should have a healthy start and enter school cognitively, physically, socially, and emotionally prepared to learn.
- Reading at Grade Level by Third Grade: All children should be reading at grade level by age 8, the age at which reading is solidified as a truly essential, foundational component of ongoing learning.
- Graduating from High School Ready for College and Career: All young adults should have the option to attend postsecondary education equipped with skills for continued success.
- Completing Post-Secondary Education or Training: All young adults should receive the education and training needed for quality jobs of today and tomorrow.
- Successfully Entering the Workforce: All individuals who want a job should be able to secure and sustain employment that allows them to support themselves and their families.
- Reducing Violence and Providing a Second Chance: All children should be safe from violent crime. Individuals who are confined should receive the education, training, and treatment they need for a second chance.